Home

The Sivasagar tank and the douls Needles to say that Sivasagar town derives its name from the historic Sivasagar tank with their living temples on its southern bank. In 1733 AD. Queen Ambika alias Madambika, the second wife of king Shiva Singha, got this huge tank dug and the temples constructed on its bank to commemorate the name of her illustrious husband. The tank along with the banks covers an area of 257 acres of land. The three temples are Shiva Doul, Bishnu Doul, and Devi Doul. The Shiva Doul is the tallest of all the temples constructed during the Ahom regime. The golden dome (kalasi) on the top of the temple adds to its splendour and majesty. The hieght of Shiva Doul is 180 ft, and its circumference is 195 ft. This Shiva temple known as ‘Shiva doul’ attracts domestic and tourists & pilgrims all the year round. Since long a big festival is organized on the occasion of Shivaratri which usually falls in the later part of February every year and devotees in hundreds and thousands throng here from different parts of the century. The other two temples – the Vishnu Doul and the Devi Doul are equal in height. Their size is 60ft in height and 120 ft in circumference. All these three temples are under protection of Archaeological Survey of India.

International Shiva Festival

The age old celebration of Maha Shivaratri is going International this year. Three internationally acclaimed classical dancers from USA and Japan as well as five renowned artists from Austrilia, France, Italy & Romania are also joining the celebration.